Monday, November 14, 2011

Manila in the rear view

I'm on the Korean computer again, and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to start a new post.  My strategy is to randomly click on buttons containing Korean words.  If what I want doesn't come up, I hit the back button and try something else.  Not the most efficient strategy, but it works.

Today I took care of some important errands and finished planning the next few days of my travels here.  The morning took me to the nearest Light Rail Transit (LRT) station.  After being jammed into a train car like a can of sardines being squeezed by the world's strongest man, I made it to the Bureau of Immigration (BOI) to extend my visa from 21 days to 59.  My guide book had said the BOI was a scary place chock full of people, a whirlwind of chaos, and that I should use a travel agency or renew the visa somewhere outside of Manila.  However, I made sure to arrive early, and it was a breeze.  By the time I left there, people were streaming in like cattle to a fresh pasture, but I was heading out the door.  I then walked back to the LRT station where I had departed, and rode (again, packed in to the point of getting good view of everyone's bald spots) to the bus station from which I will depart tomorrow morning.  I'm glad I scouted the place out, because it was out of control.  Apparently there is no central office, and several bus companies operate out of this bus station.  I asked someone how I can get to Balanga, and he pointed me to the Baatan Bus Line.  I walked over, and a small man started rattling off questions like he was training for the speed-talking event for the next Olympics.  I finally was able to interject and tell him I didn't want to depart this very instant; that I would come back tomorrow morning with my bags.  I then asked him where I could buy a ticket.  He said I should give the money to the "hot doctor".  Eh?  At this point I was dripping with confusion.  Hot Doctor?  Who is this "hot doctor" and where is he located?  Can I speak to him now?  Is "hot doctor" his real name or is that just his title?  After a few back and forths and me repeating myself and the small man repeating himself, he told me that he was the "hot doctor".  Huh?  A five foot tall Filipino man standing in the middle of a bus station is a "hot doctor"?  After he said "hot doctor" about ten more times, the light bulb in my brain suddenly shone bright.  He was not saying "hot doctor".  He was saying "conductor".  Oh, I see now.  This man here is the conductor for Baatan Bus Lines, and I give him the money when I want to board the bus.  Okay, got it.  After a few more questions, and a little more confusion, I thanked him and walked back to the LRT station. 

After that I headed back to the area where my hostel is located, walked to the shopping mall nearby and tried to located the electronics store where I had seen a good travel outlet adapter (I've given up on the camera for the time being).  I need a travel adapter to charge my cell phone, which I purchased in New Zealand but will work here.  After sometime getting lost in the mall, I found what I was looking for and made the purchase.  I then made my way to the nearest grocery store and searched and searched for some cheddar cheese to eat with my bagels.  My cheese search continued in the cooler section until I noticed the sign indicated that cheese isn't in the cooler section, that it's on a normal shelf with things like cereal and bread.  I was perplexed.  Shouldn't cheese be refrigerated?  I grabbed a container of Kraft Cheddar Cheese, but noticed that it wasn't called just cheese.  It's called "spreadable processed cheese".  That didn't sound like what I wanted, and nothing else on the shelf looked like what I wanted, so I abandoned my cheese search and left. 

In the afternoon I packed up my bag, read my book, did some crossword, and then headed to an Indian restaurant I had heard about.  I thought that, since it was my last night in Manila, and because I've been eating only bagels with peanut butter and street food, I should treat myself a little.  The chicken curry I had was delicious, along with the San Miguel beer that washed it down.

I was going to write a little about the pollution, but I'm tired of writing for now.  That, and I'm racking up by bill with every minute I'm on this computer.  So, I'll just say that Manila is very polluted.  Some trash in the streets, but mostly with cars, buses, and what they call jeepneys, which spew out dark fumes constantly.  Also, I learned that Manila is the most densely populated city in the world.  I've enjoyed it, but I'd like a little more space.

So, I hope everyone is doing well in their part of the world.  Take care.

Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment