Friday, November 11, 2011

Crickey!

It's day two here in Manila.  Jema and I split up yesterday at the airport; I took a cab ride into the city, and promptly crashed at the hostel, a pleasant little joint called "Pension Natividad".  The Catholic theme abounds.  There are crucifixes and pictures of bible scenes everywhere. But, it's also clean and safe, so I can't complain.

Let me start this blog off by describing the most recent frustration I have experienced, which is the creation of this blog.  I tried yesterday to unsuccessfully create this blog at an internet cafe in the local mall which had an abhoriously slow connection.  When I finally reached the start screen, to my surprise/horror, the language was in Tagalog, which is the Filipino language.  I tried unsuccessfully to change the language, all the while dealing with cut connections and the aforementioned extremely slow connection.  After a long attempt, I gave up.  Then today I duck into this small internet cafe, go to the blogspot start page, and again the language is incomprehensible.  After much searching on how to change the language, and not getting anywhere, in a moment of pure frustration I finally just input text into the blank boxes and hit what I think is the "continue onto next page button".  Viola.  I'm taken to another page that is covered in Tagalog, but has a tiny box near the top that indicates I can change the language to English.  Ahhhh...English.  One year in New Zealand has spoiled me.  So, let the blogging commence!

Today I will talk about prostitution, which I have heard is everywhere, but had no idea that it is so in-your-face.  At least 5 times in the last two days I have been propositioned, on a busy sidewalk, in broad daylight.  The first was by a fairly attractive woman outside the mall.  She saw me leaving and bee-lined it towards me saying thinks like "Sir, where are you from", "Sir, I can give you massage", "Sir, we can have good time".  I've also been propositioned by a man offering "very young ladies".  No, thanks.  The most recent was just moments ago down the sidewalk a little ways, and I'm pretty sure the person was, well, either male or female, or neither, or both.  Hard to tell.  Ew.

My activities today have included an inadvertent walking tour of downtown Manila.  I was trying to find the Bureau of Immigration (so I can extend my visa) after visiting the Department of Tourism.  I stumbled upon a couple of museums, a nice city park, the historic district of Intramuros, which was the original Spanish city complete with fortified, and finally, the Bureau of Immigration.  Which, not surprisingly, is closed on a Saturday.  So, after slowing walking around inside the closed Bureau, and thereby soaking up the air-conditioning, I left and continued exploring Intramuros.  As I said earlier, Intramuros was the original city created by the Spaniards when they came to conquer and Christianize the Philippines (small history trivia:  the Philippines are name after Prince Phillip of Spain).  The area was taken by the Americans in the American-Philippino War, then the Japanese at the beginning of WWII, then the Americans at the end of WWII, and it is now a historic district with shops and restaurants.  Sadly, the place was bombed to smithereens by the Japanese and then the Americans, so not much of the original buildings are still around, save for the surrounding wall.  I found the Manila Cathedral, which is amazing and still holds regular mass and weddings and such.  Then continued on toward the hostel, found this internet cafe, and here I am.

I have a list of things to do before leaving Manila, but I didn't have "Explore Manila" on there.  Now I can add that to my list and then promptly cross it off.

That's all for now.  Hope everyone in other parts of the world are doing well.  Take care!

Pat

PS  I'll try to add photos later on when I get a camera/have more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment